Anger as Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau reportedly ‘turns’ 16 abducted police women to slaves (video, photo)
– Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, releases a video claiming responsibility for an attack on a police convoy
– Some Nigerians accuse the Buhari administration of suppressing news on the abduction of the police women
A statement by Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau that the female police officers recently abducted in Borno state had been turned to slaves of the group has sparked outrage among some Nigerians.
This is even as the security agencies in the country continue to deny being aware of the abductions.
NAIJ.com learnt that the abduction of the female officers followed an attack by Boko Haram fighters on a convoy of security personnel in the Damboa area of Borno on Tuesday, June 20.
The ambush reportedly occurred at about 10am when a large convoy of commercial, private and government vehicles were travelling from Maiduguri to the southern part of Borno state, passing through Damboa.
A number of policemen lost their lives in the attack while their female colleagues were reportedly abducted.
PAY ATTENTION: Watch more videos on NAIJ.com TV
The survivors of the ambush confirmed to the media that 16 women were among those kidnapped by Boko Haram after the attack.
The Borno state police command had said at least two persons, including a police officer were killed while six others were injured.
It however, denied being aware of any abductions even though relations and colleagues of the abducted persons lamented that the 16 policewomen were missing.
Abubakar Shekau, leader of the Boko Haram sect, then released a video claiming responsibility for the attack on the police convoy.
Below is a still photo from the video showing the alleged kidnapped police women.
Shekau claimed that the abducted women have become slaves of the group.
Below is a video of Shekau claiming responsibility for the attack:
The claims by the Boko Haram leader have sparked outrage among some Nigerians who accused the government of suppressing news on the abduction of the police women.
Political commentator, Reno Omokri, in reaction to the video by Shekau in a Facebook post questioned the claims by the Buhari administration that Boko Haram had been defeated.
Other Nigerians who shared Reno Omokri’s sentiment also blasted the Buhari administration for keeping quiet over the issue.
They accused security agencies of talking too much while doing little to win the fight against Boko Haram.
See some comments on the issue below:
Abiodun Williams Ajayi: “But why is the government remain quiet over this embarrassing abductions. At least, they should say something for the sake of the families of the abducted victims. This is highly unfair. At least we have known that they have ran out of lies for saying they have defeated boko haram”
Chukwuemeka Enwe: “When military, police and govt stop lying, they will easily win boko haram war. Lie, hypocricy and too much talk and internal enemies are sabotaging the war against the terrorist.”
Victor Osim: “That’s how buhari and burutai defeated Boko Haram, well I don’t blame them. I blame Nigerians who sold their conscience to sentiments, let them reap the rewards of their labour. Up buhari till 2023.”
Another commentator, Peter Chegwe, advised Nigerian security agencies to seek the help of the US to fight Boko Haram.
“If our security agents lack the resources and strategy on how to take out Shekau, they should contact the US for help. I suspect that Shekau may be within Nigeria, concealed by conspirators in the seat of power, palaces, state houses or embassies sympathetic to the murderous agenda of Boko,” he said.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram terrorists reportedly killed eight Chadian soldiers during a fierce clash at the weekend.
The incident occurred on islands on Lake Chad, which borders four countries on the edge of the Sahara, Guardian reports.
Chad’s army confirmed the incident on Monday, June 26. Its spokesman, Colonel Azem, disclosed that eight soldiers were killed and another 18 were wounded.
In the video below NAIJ.com visits the IDP camp near Abuja to see how children are being treated after the horrors they suffered from Boko Haram attacks.
You may be interested
NATCA raises alarm over 10yrs closure of Mma taxiwayWebby - Oct 20, 2017
By Emmanuel Ayungbe UYO—THE President of Nigerian Air Traffic Controllers Association, NATCA, Mr. Victor Eyaru, has raised alarm over the closure of Taxiway…
Fifty-year-old rapes toddler to death in KatsinaWebby - Oct 20, 2017
Olaide Oyelude, Katsina A 50-year-old man and father of seven, Abdullahi Sani, has been arraigned before a Katsina State Senior Magistrates’ Court for…